View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
For sure check seat height law and handle bar height laws, some states also have laws preventing recumbent seating.
Personally I wouldn't do it because it's an unstable seating position when you only have two wheels, being able to swerve quickly around people who are pulling out in front of you is a huge advantage and will save your life.

I also don't see a scooter like that getting all that much better gas mileage because of streamlining, you are limited to 30mph by law and if you look odd the cops are going to keep a closer eye on you and your speed, so at that point if streamlining does have an affect then you need to change the gearing so the little 50cc engine is no longer turning as fast, otherwise I don't see the gallons per hour of fuel being used changing much.

If you do this, my suggestion would be to turn it in to a tadpole trike and use larger light weight moped wheels in the front so you have less rolling resistance and more stability, I'd also want to run a multispeed gear or chain drive like the Tomos mopeds have and avoid the CVT belt drives, maybe even get one of the fuel injection retrofit kits if you can't find an engine you like that is fuel injected.