View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redorchestra View Post
another thing I have noticed is that 105kmh seems to be more efficient than 90. even neutral coasting gets more efficiency at higher speed. I need more time to actually understand y OBD but it seems That way to me.
The faster you go while coasting the more mpg you will get because you are using a constant amount of fuel (or no fuel if EOC), thus you cover more distance in the same time while using the same amount of fuel.

All cars have different points of efficiency over the RPM range. Using a computer to see exactly which RPM amount gives you the most efficiency is the key.

If I were the OP I would use pulse and glide over the terrain. Accelerate briskly going up the hills and then turn the engine off and coast down the hill until you reach the bottom or near. You will then have to accelerate quickly to your target speed up the next hill and so on. This may seem to be bad for mpg because of the acceleration up hills but depending on your coasting distances and speed range the average mpg over your trip will be much higher than just driving at a steady speed.