View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Phil thank you for posting this (and Vekke for the PDF) but my left-brained art student logic is having trouble connecting the dots. Since the fronts of production cars are decidedly not template, and the boattails we build from them will not start at the 30% mark like the template does, how do we interpret the % points you posted? Also, is there a way to modify the baseline to fit our specific vehicles? I'd like to know how much I can get from 24" - 36" - 50" boat tails. (with 13* angles I can do a 100% tail and still lie within the length of a Ford F150 swb crew cab!) Thanks again for putting up with my relentless questions
*First off,the boat tail begins at the zero-point of max roof camber for the elevation.
*For plan-view,the boat tail begins at the point of maximum body width.On EV-1,this would be halfway down the door,longitudinally.
*To determine your drag potential,you need to know how much aft-body you're starting with and the drag minimum possible for that much aft-body,then with any additional extension,what the Cd potential is at that length.
*If you've 'basjoos'd' your car,you'll have the greatest potential for drag reduction.
*At 70% you should be capable of Cd 0.13.Lower if you'll attack the wheels.
*The T-100 is at Cd 0.18 as it sits.
*the CRX was Cd 0.235 with 12-inches of tail and the rest of the 'kit.'
* The VW Transporter was Cd 0.285 with 18-inches.
__________________________________________________ ______________
*For the Probe,it would be good to see a plan-view or measure to see where the body begins to converge at the rear.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (03-30-2012)