View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mulder25
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
Feeling torque and vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 ion2 View Post
In my car, mpg (according to my scangauge) is very similar in 5th verses 4th up a hill, until throttle position is not too high, my car has torque, so unless throttle position is an issue, I stay in the high gear. This is also more efficient up hill because shifting reduces speed, and burns more fuel.
You can feel the torque in the seat, but you also need to monitor the manifold vacuum. This can feel similar to torque, but you feel it in the pedal. I dont have the fortune of a vacuum gauge - Am actively trying to find a way to install one without it looking ghetto. But i have learned to feel the vacuum through the pedal. The engine is burning fuel the most efficient at its highest vacuum. When the vacuum drops, the vibration through the pedal drops, you want strong vibrations, assuming they arent strong because of a problem, but in normal conditions, stronger ones are better. This will not apply if you have a car with electrically controlled throttle. Instead, you can try to feel it through the floor with your left foot, but i would recommend removing shoes to do it properly, but this can pose a safety issue.