View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Mulder25
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Mulder25 are you talking about literal throttle position? Electronic throttle cars are probably doing worse at 20% than 80%, although that's 20% dictated load vs. 80% dictated load. 80% literal throttle position or 80% on a cable throttle would be almost 100% load at low rpm, and 20% throttle position would probably be landing you much higher in terms of load too.
I am talking about the scanguage reading. With the throttle out, mine is at 10tps. Floored it is at 90tps. So 80% would be 74tps. I do not understand the entire concept of engine load, i have tried doing research and this whole DWL thing just doesnt make sense, there is no good article out there explaining the physics behind it, and how to implement this hypermiling technique.
I did the test today, and came up with 1.28GPH average in third gear, and 1.14GPH average in fourth gear. This comepletely defies common logic, but you cannot argue with a scientific instrument, so i guess i will be launching from second, and driving in fifth at 30MPH now. It does make sense in the fact that you have less torque, so you arent wasting gas on quick accelleration, but i thought the less torque was due to inefficiencies in a higher gear at low speed, not a compensation for power/energy.