View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Hucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
The base cavity and base plates kinda blew my mind. I don't think Hucho addressed either so that was a great surprise. It is also interesting that they claim large gains from such short cavity lengths.

I was also totally brown away by the base plates. I would have thought that there would have so much turbulance between the body and base plate that it would have been counterproductive. Definitely some new ideas here.

What you thinking Phil?
Hucho addresses this technology back in the commercial vehicle chapters.These plates are exactly what Continuum Dynamics developed at NASA Ames Research Center,Palo Alto,California decades ago.
I did one of these 'egg crate' boat tails behind my semi model and it flowed just fine.
By limiting where the air can be,and providing locked-vortices all around,the outer flow can skip over the egg crate as with Texas Tech's cab wing/half tonneau on the pickup.
They're not as good in a crosswind,but they're way out ahead of nothing,extremely light,easy to manufacture,and should cost very little.