Thread: No DFCO?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mulder25
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
In my car, when i first got the scanguage, it was reading 9999 when i let off the accelerator. I could feel the engine braking effect. I was getting insane values on my average though, as high as 75MPG/AVG. As it says in the manual for the gauge, the accuracy will improve over time. This refers to when you fill up, and input data in the scangauge. My theory is that it is calibrated at the factory for 'x'Gas x 'y'RPM = 'z'GPH. When you fill up, you tell it that your car actually used X* amount, and it will adjust its computing accordingly. Once mine had a 5 fill-ups, and about 3000 miles, it started reading something like 142MPG with no throttle. The average economy dropped, and is now displaying accurately. I think the scanguage is designed not to show 9999 unless you haven't calibrated. Who is to say that this is the exact number? You could, in theory, go an infinite amount, but this would throw off the average faster than you can blink.
I can feel the engine braking, and now, since my brakes are bad, regularly employ it. It is rare that i ever touch the brake pedal(exception to hold steady at a red light, or to decelerate those last 5MPH that first gear cant do.
If there is even a tiny amount of fuel being injected it would greatly decrease the resistance of the engine, and would not allow compression braking. (can be calculated mathematically, but i am running out of time to continue writing this...)
The gauge now reads a couple thousand MPG, but not 9999 if i turn off the engine, put it in neutral, and coast. This is because it defaults to 0.05GPH, even if i am sitting, parked, engine off, but key in, it will say this...
You have DFCO, trust me. The gauge will get more accurate as time goes.

I reset mine because it glitched and thinks i pay $72/gallon, and when i try to adjust, it wont go lower than 71.8... EVEN THAT DIDNT SOLVE THAT!!! but i regret that i lost the calibration...