View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Hey pal, ya I won't be doing a rebuild on this one, just picked it up for a cheap driver til the weather cleared up enough to bring the Insight back out. I don't think it's the timing belt, it looked pretty fresh when I pulled the inspection cover off, and usually when something slips the belt it sounds weird when it's turning over, you know that "that's not good" sound where it turns over unevenly. This doesn't do that.

I'd put money on it that its electrical. Car ran great, I shut it off, next morning it had a dead hole, a few hours later it won't even try to fire. I would think a dieing coil would make it run crappy on all cylinders before it died completely, though the ignition system (plugs, cap wires) were all so tired there could have been one cylinder that was borderline until the coil got passed a certain point, so it couldnt fire that cylinder on it's way out. It could be the igniter too, but I have no idea what they do when they fail. If they are like a GM HEI module they work great right until they fail completely. I just don't want to go throwing parts at it (moreso anyway), so I will see if I can borrow a coil somewhere and see if it helps.

And next time you are in town let me know, I can give you a tour of the fleet!