View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
wickedwagens
EcoModding Lurker

Jetta Bob - '85 Volkswagen Jetta
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 51.15 mpg (US)
Another eco-addict here.

Hello, I came across this site after searching for aerodynamic ideas for a land speed car I am building. I found the aerocivic site and ventured this way. Now I am addicted.

I have had a company truck for the last 5 years so I haven't had to worry about gas. I just got a new job with a 26 mile per day commute. I started out with my 84 GMC 1500 that was getting 12 mpg. By just changing my driving style I was able to get it up to 13.7 mpg. This was just not cutting it so I started to look for a Honda Civic. I came across this 1990 Honda Accord for $1000 and it only has $112,000 miles so I picked it up. Baseline was at 26 mpg so it was a big jump right off the back. The two down sides to this accord are that 1. it has a 2.2l engine and uses a little more fuel then the 1.5 & 1.6l engines, and 2. it is an automatic. Still I will see what it can do.

Just by changing my driving style I was able to get the MPG up a bit to 27.3 mpg. The first mod I wanted to try was the warm air intake. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the stock air box and ran some aluminum heater hose to the exhaust heat shield. I wasn't sure if this would work on an OBD1 vehicle. To my surprise the first fill up was 29.3 mpg, up 2 mpg.

Now, I am addicted this whole ecomodder lifestyle. I drive 63mph in a 65mph zone, I always back into the driveway and use pull thru parking spots. I will try to get 30+ mpg out of this automatic Accord. I am trying to buy a friends VW diesel Jetta. Then the real ecomodding will begin.

Thanks for all of the great ideas.