View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doni_99
EcoModding Lurker

1982 Volvo 244 D6 with 2383ccm diesel engine

Hi Folks,

I'm here to collect further ways how to reduce the fuel consumption of my old diesel Volvo.

Let me tell our story I bought him - his name is Bordeaux - in 2007. Our first way was a 240km long highway trip. I didn't know that this type of engine doesn't like high speed (above 68mph) - but I was calm,because I believed in the water temperature indicator which was wrong. So we run on 75mph. Fortunately he was OK at the end of the trip and made 36,2mpg (US).
I was really happy with it according his size and weight.

I totally rebuilt its engine with Mahle pistons and quality parts. So he has a baby heart with an oldman body

I monthly drive him for a 280km long trip without highway on a speed of 50-53mph. I always achieve 45,2mpg (5,2l/100km). The only modifications are that his got a direct air filter, I fitted a brand new radiator so I can cover partly the grill block without trouble. Oh, yes and I adjusted a PCV jar. I generally pump the tyres onto 36psi.
So after it my aim was to achieve 48mpg (4,9l/100km) without pulse and glide driving style.

It was time for an engine oil changing so I turned to 10w40 Liqui Moly oil from the regularly used 15w40 one.
.... My mpg increased to the unbelievable 51,1mpg (4,6l/100km).
Our average city mpg is about 34 with using 'man-powered start-stop system'.))

I love this result but I want to improve it with mods on my car.
In the first steps I don't want to modify his shape with spoilers or so on.
Do you have any ideas? I found an interesting youtube vid about engine head porting.

Thanks inadvance for your help!

Doni_99

Last edited by Doni_99; 04-07-2012 at 07:49 AM..