View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
stylus
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 96 Tercel, I have not done any kind of alternator mod but I do have an idea of how long my car will run with a dead alternator. My commute to work is 15-18mi each way (depending on path). I can run my car back and forth at least 3-4 days before the battery is weak enough to cause a problem. It took me a few weeks to get it all straightened out becasue I got a defective replacement alt from the parts store and I didn't have time to swap it out again.

My problem with this type of mod is that Energy = Energy. If you are not charging your battery using the alt, and you charge it from the grid you are still paying for the energy on your electricity bill instead (likely at a "cheaper rate").

Also isn't a battery charger plugged in to a car battery for 8-10hrs at a time going to waste energy once the battery is "full". Kind of like people complaining about leaving cell phone chargers plugged in 24/7 even if they are not charging the phone.

Yes I can see that if you are able to maintain the battery with a solar panel you are ahead of the game.