View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
LeanBurn
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
My post was merely to point out that Hondas new Insight is designed to do both a cold air intake coupled with a duct from in front of the radiator taking advantage of a high pressure zone. They could have done the intake just like the previous generation Insight at a much much cheaper cost, but they didn't. They have obviously gone through the trouble and money of testing and reached this design. Being a mild hybrid, it relies a great deal on the naturally aspirated ICE and these intake properties are of value at speed, while obtaining decent fuel economy, so full throttle was not primary. I don't even think they use lean burn mode on these engines (do they?)...so the tuning aspect would be for fuel economy, within our grasp with the stock ECU.

There must be some positive results from having the intake like this. I plan on doing a version of this and see what kinds of results I can get. As far as better results from grill blocking, I am sure a 4inch hole in the block will not have that much of a penalty if not entirely offset but what this modification can do and then some.