View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
GoGreenAuto
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '01 Honda Insight Hybrid
Team Honda
90 day: 55.32 mpg (US)
The car has 237,000 miles, when I got it not only was it filthy with some crappy stereo install, the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. First signs of a larger issue were the missing coolant overflow cap and a strong odor of coolant. A few times the car wouldn't start and it was clear there was a big problem. Found the radiator a gallon low, filled it, and it started blowing white smoke out the back, head gasket. We pulled the head off, had it milled, it was warped 0.007. New front main seal and a serp belt and she was back up and running. But no heat and there was still something not quite right. Took off the H20 pump and found the issue, no impeller. Honda made them out of plastic to save money/weight and it had failed, broken right in half and was just sitting in the cavity. New water pump and everything was right as far as the cooling system.

Car was still throwing a few codes, P0420, 1600 and 1449. I knew there wasn't a quick fix for the two IMA codes, but I figured we could tackle the 420. Dealer wanted $1100 for a new manifold with the cat, I wanted to try some O2 fixes first. So for $8 I got a set of Spark Plug Anti-foulers from Car Quest, drilled one and bolted them all on the O2. BINGO no more P0420 code.

I tried a recondition on the battery but it didn't help. I'll do a write up on that as soon as I can post links.