View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
jdchmiel
EcoModding Lurker

I have not read the thread for the Fiero yet, but another suggestion is the first gen toyota MR2. They are parts-bin cars, ie, the front hubs swap out with corrolla hubs of the same year. You can put a fwd electric drivetrain in the front of the car along with some batteries, and the rear trunk is there for extra battery space if needed. I would assume for a hybrid setup you would leave the center tunnel gas tank alone.

Quite a few motors can swap in / have been swapped into the rear including more fuel efficient motors, though usually larger more powerful motors are swapped in. Plus you can pick them up for under 1k in 'needs some tlc' condition or 2500 ish for a daily driver that is 25 years old type condition, ie some things are worn, but it basically works fine as is.

I know a few mr2 full electric conversions have been done, but know of no hybrids. It has been mentioned a few times in various AWD threads on mr2oc dot com, but more of a talk rather than a do sense.
In other news, being a parts-bin kind of car, even 2nd and 3rd gen parts can be adapted, like electric power steering, which if you add electric fwd will prob be desired since the car is manual steering.

3rd in my list of biggish projects is to do an electric supercharger in the front of one of my MR2's . forklift motor, 36-48 volts, cheapish 400 amp curtis or similar controller, Eaton SC , fuel computer for completely non-economy reasons