View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
One thing about diesel fuel.

It makes foam, sometimes more, sometimes less, with my daily ride (in signature) I can easily get 5l differences between fillups if I let it pump at full speed, somehow there is sort of air lock, or foam lock forming into tank which clears only when I drive a bit, shaking car seems not to clear it. That is more likely to happen if car is tilted to certain direction.

My solution is then to let diesel go in at very slow speed.

Other thing that can affect is that there is winter and summer quality of diesel, there is difference in mileage between them.

With Volvo, any bit of wind makes a difference, that is what I found out when I drove it actively.

More samples make it more true of course.

Oh and one another thing I have noticed, with that engine, there is easily 0.1l/100km difference compared to fresh oil or oil near change point, car is clearly going better with fresh oils, don't know why, but that is what I also found out, maybe that is part of difference too. 6 cylinders is of course lot of parts moving, also it has only 140Nm of torque at maximum, so maybe it is sum of all those?

Anyway, I don't trust one tank reading too much, I like to get more samples and take average from those. I have got 3.5l/100km in one fillup, but I consider it to be bit too optimistic, 3.6l/100km is what I consider my best. In statistical analysis I believe top and bottom values are thrown away when trying to find mean average, I believe that is because both ends are more likely to be errors or something like that.