View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
E85 has anywhere from 100 to 105 octane. Thus, you could easily build an engine with a very high compression ratio, which would raise the efficiency of the engine greatly.

The EPA did a study where they converted a Volkswagen TDI diesel engine to run on E85. They replaced the diesel fuel injectors with spark plugs, and used conventional port fuel injection. The TDI has 19.5:1 compression ration, and that was unchanged. They got upwards of 40% efficiency, same as a diesel.

Sadly, because E85 pumps are so rare, you can't buy an E85 only engine. A flex fuel vehicle has to be able to run on gas, so that precludes a very high compression ratio. Without that increased efficiency, a FFV running on gas gets crappy mileage, because ethanol has less energy that gas.
I would like to see some links to that study.

Reason is that I got silly idea to slap turbo on my Volvo 240 diesel, that is 6 cylinder 2.4l diesel motor without turbo, there is only few bits that I would need to find and perhaps reduce compression. We have RE85 here, which is made from garbage, same as E85 but it is more for my liking as it is made from garbage.

So if I understood correctly, that would made something relatively close to 2.4l 6 cylinder gasoline turbo engine, but with lower RE85 consumption (consumption relatively close to diesel) that what that would use gasoline and have better or similar power output than with diesel?