View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
ncwa
www.howtobuildahybrid.com

Hi Everyone - I am glad to see other people interested in this approach! I converted my 1966 Mustang into a plug-in-hybrid a little over a year ago. It was a really fun, yet challenging project. There were a few times during the build where I had to pause and really think about where the gas and electricity were running around the car (yikes!). I also had my share of burned out or incorrect parts, but all in all I am very pleased with the results.

I considered mounting the motor in the location of the “optional” ac compressor but ended out locating the 30Kw peak brushless PM motor under the headers replacing the alternator. I had to build custom mounts and triangulate them to the engine block. I am currently using an oversized v belt. I am “waiting” for it to break but so far it is holding up like a champ! I can start the gas engine with this set up (triggered by throttle advance) but the belt slips, so I don’t often use this method. I haven’t found the right pulleys for this motor (straight 200) to allow me to switch to a synchronized belt. Once I do, I will be able to properly start/stop the ICE!

The car is zippy and makes really unique sounds! The dash is loaded with gauges (I guess that makes me an engineer!). It is great to watch the amps rise up with intake vacuum rise, indicating less fuel flow. It is also rather entertaining to modify my dual throttle advance curves (slope and start points) to discover unique performance characteristics.

A smaller engine running closer to peak efficiency would likely yield better results, as would a proper ICE! I started with around 12-15 mpg’s on this old worn motor. A local shop helped me tune it to the high teens. Aero mods (under the car) were by far the best value mods bringing my mpg’s up to the mid 20’s! Then with the hybrid system, I am now seeing 30-35 mpg’s without hypermilling! I know, I know, these are low numbers for you pros, but this is big step for me Someday I might rebuild the ICE and switch to 5-speed, allegedly bring my mpg’s up to 30 – then with the aero mods and 30 Kw electric motor, I might do even better! Hey I can dream right! I might even have to start hypermilling if I can find the right pulleys…

Good luck to you on your explorations!
The Following User Says Thank You to ncwa For This Useful Post:
Ryland (04-06-2012)