View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I've gotten 65mpg while driving 70mph just because I had a tail wind, wouldn't this be like having a constant tail wind?
Changing the whole rear suspension and adding another drive train is not something I'm interested in doing, bolting a motor to existing threaded holes and using an existing V-belt pulley is a modification I'm willing to do to my otherwise stock car that is in great shape.
I'm thinking that the big hold up on this is going to be a battery pack, because I don't want to fill my trunk with golf cart batteries I'll most likely hold off on this project until I buy the lithium battery pack for my electric motorcycle, I'll have to double check but I think that might fit where the A/C condenser would live, or at least a portion of the battery pack could, the spare tire well would be another option.
Mort, do you have any charts on how much power V-belts can handle? I would imagine it's dependent on pulley size, larger being better up to the point where the belt over speeds.
I WANT ONE! I've seen a civic with a huge supercharger bolted to front of the engine where the A/C goes. This is an awesome idea you came up with. I look forward to reading the rest of the thread, and hope your plans come to fruition. My civic with vx engine is awesome in lean burn, but quickly falls out of it on on slight hills. I imagine a 10hp external boost would keep it in lean burn far longer.