View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
JohnnyV
EcoModding Lurker

Ethan - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
For me, doing the control part of it would be relatively easy. However, I have no experience designing circuits for medium/high voltage equipment. If someone has experience with that, I think we could put our heads together and bang out a solution.

Like Shifty said, the biggest concern will be the power MOSFETs and getting them to switch quickly enough, if if you're using multiple ones, in synch with one another.

I would like to see a requirement that the control method use feedback from the motor so you can verify you are running at the desired speed. This also will help with efficiency since you won't have oscillation in the motor speed assuming you set your parameters correctly. The easiest way to implement this is through a PID controller, which, with some effort, can be accomplished via a PIC microcontroller (or any other decent micro).

If going the feedback route, we would want the software for the micro to be easily adjustable for different motors - all motors have inherent parameters that must be taken into account when developing a control system for them.