View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Persanity
EcoModding Lurker

Please understand that as a start-up business I can't share our trade secrets. The idea for this business came about from wanting to do a conversion on my 2000 S10. From searching for existing conversions I came across an all electric S10 in which the converter had placed a common commercial generator into a tool box in the bed, I also came across several EVs with generator trailers. I thought what was the point of getting rid of your vehicles gas engine, converting to pure electric and then attaching a generator to get better range when doing a hybrid conversion from the start would perform better and allow retention of the original vehicle engine.
So, from there I started researching DIY hybrid conversions and current auto company offerings, Thats when I came across the companies NetGain, Poulsen Hybrid, Revolo and AltE all currently doing hybrid conversions.
I realized there was a better way using existing components, why redesign the wheel?
Since the batteries used in conversions to hybrid and electric are the most expensive aspect of the conversion I decided to get rid of them till better technology comes along. As the currently available electric storage alternatives don't have the power density of current battery technology the gas engine needs to run slightly more often. Now we need a system that allows more power to be generated instantly while still retaining the ability to be fuel efficient. So, we rebuild the engine so that even if it was used in a pure gas vehicle it would be more fuel efficient, then we add a system that allows the gas engine to always run at a exact rpm (give or take a few rpm), this rpm number will be the best mix of power output to fuel efficiency possible for the given applications ICE. All suspensions components of the vehicle are removed and replaced with independent suspension. So now we have a vehicle with IFS, IRS, rebuilt more efficient ICE, a generator and generator power amplification system. The electric motor. It replaces the transmission in the vehicle. In no way shape or form will ICE be directly driving the wheels. KW of motor will most likely vary for different size vehicles. I wouldn't want to put the same electric motor in a Fiero that I'd put in a hummer. Well, Actually I would want to do that, for myself. Anyway, So now we have all the parts and systems for a hybrid except a controller to tie it altogether. So we take a proprietary computer system that does just that. Then you do the hokey pokey and thats what our hybrid conversion process is all about. I've left out exactly how the proprietary stuff works and have given a basic overview of the entire process. I really hope this helps people here to understand what we are doing. I don't have a complete system currently, only partial subsystems and they are not in a vehicle. I don't have the equipment to measure the efficiency differences from using my system at present.
On a separate note,Im not sure if anybody has noticed, but most people these days can't drive, they over rev the hell out of the engine and just generally beat the snot out of the cars they drive,This all ends up make the engine burn oil which puts more pollution in the air. By separating the ICE from the "gas" pedal hopefully this will all change.
As always ask any questions and thank you for your time.
Aaron Coach,
Founder & CEO

P.S. I've been asked on other forums what my definition of a hybrid is.
The way I define a hybrid should be the same as anybody else. The vehicle utilizes gas and electric drive elements, a hybrid drivetrain. Electric drive elements are not exclusive to battery powered vehicles. Look at diesel-electric trains & Cruise Ships.

Last edited by Persanity; 04-06-2012 at 12:03 PM..