View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
from the peanut gallery, there are two wires which cause the alternator to charge, just like every other modern car.
the great big wire which goes to the battery and carries the juice, and a "trigger" wire, yellow/black which excites the field and kicks it off.

The rest are signal wires from the alternator back to the ECU which the ECU uses to keep track of how hard the alternator is working. For instance, at idle, if the driver turns the heater fan on high and rear defroster, there is more load on the alternator, so the ECU needs to QUICKLY give a touch more air to the idle so the engine doesn't slow down or die.

for your purposes, the signal wires are not really needed.
While you are right, others have noticed that voltage can also come from the battery indicator light on the dash as well. I've also heard that if the car is running and you disconnect the yellow/black wire it will keep charging because the alternator already has the field charged up. Not sure on this cuz i havn't tested for myself. But i heard that if you ground the yellow/black wire from the alternator via a light bulb, it will slowly drain the field through the light bulb and then shut the alternator off.

While it sounds black and white, there's been several attempts and discoveries in this regard with mixed results. I'm simply trying many methods and reporting my discoveries so others don't have to.