View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
wheel wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Aerohead,
Thanks for the response.

Got the algebra thing, just trying to work out what I am actually subtracting from.
If we want to seal up the wheel arches as much as possible, why did the honda taper out the rear of the front wheel arch on the insight, is this just for the air turbulance from the ground contact point so it can rejoin the side air more smoothly?
If this is an appropriate mod for the front, is it also an appropriate mod for the rear?
The UK study indicated that there was a pressure build up at the top of the rear wheel archs, although they did not test this in a moving ground wind tunnel.
I was planning to put full rear wheel skirts on, was just concerned whether I should address the wheel arch pressure/ducting issue.
Oh, so many questions.
On the 1st-gen Insight,engine bay air may be escaping through the front wells,and that beautiful radius at the back will help any transverse flow to wrap around the trailing edge and blend with the side flow.So it's a good idea.I have done this in the T-100.
On the rear,they're not really 'aspirated' as up front so,say on a rainy day,you won't see a 'jet' blast from the rear as you do see up front,and the radius would be overkill.With wheel skirts,they would be superfluous.
If you'll do the skirts the pressure issue will probably be moot.I do think they should have done the test with a moving ground plane.
The volume of the house affects drag although that would be a very challenging modification.
And yes,the more answers we get,the more questions arise.