View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
piers.singer
EcoModding Apprentice

Currently own my largest motorcycle, a 1997 BMW R1100RT. I say owning and not riding because I've barely had it a month and it's already in the workshop. BMW = Bring My Wallet, as one of my friends says.

Anyway, on topic:

Smallest ever was a Honda SH50 that I learned on. It was restricted to 30mph so it wasn't much use and only did 75mpg(Imp) because I gave it full throttle everywhere.

Most fun was my Honda H100-S. Did about 100mpg and used no 2T oil at all. Mind you I only had it a week before I crashed it.

Most retarded was my first bike, a Honda (are you seeing a trend here?) ANF125. No wind protection, ridiculous gear-change, rubbish tyres, miniscule fuel tank...it did do 150mpg+ though.

Most long-lived (despite the odds) was my Honda CB Two-Fifty (US Nighthawk) that refused to start ever but took me on a 900-mile round-trip from Gillingham, Kent to Glasgow (broke down twice on the way up) and lugged all of my gear to and from university. I used to hate him so named him Piles because he was like a big red sore between my legs. Now I miss him, the way he could actually handle turns (after I gave him new tyres and head bearings), his ability to deliver 85mpg(Imp) on a bad day and the way he cost practically nothing to maintain.

Once the big Beemer comes back from the lab I'm going to lose it and get back into smaller motorcycles, maybe even get a streamliner project going. Watch this space.