View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Any boost you will pick up from ramair will only be measurable in inchs of water.
Its not going to be measureable inside the intake mainifold, only the intake.
That is of course correct as there are not enough exhaust to propel the turbo any faster at the idle and engine shut off turbo will be restricting air flow so that there can't be pressure increase so that is why I would need to measure pressure change before and after the filter and before the turbo.

I did found some reading, which should be taken with grain of salt, but still, guy has put effort into testing and documented some of the test methods and results, with modification to airbox and ram air, or cold air intake which ever one classifies it, he got 20% better than EPA consumption on his vehicle.

Here is link where one can read more, I found out angle of pipe effecting air flow to be most interesting part, surprisingly small change in angle seem to cause drop in airflow:
Ram Air Project

That is perhaps only one diy build where I have seen some measurements being made and as he put pipe same place that I have put, some results should be comparable in my setup, even pipe is same size and material.