View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
rmcelwee
93 Geo Metro

Sippy - '93 Geo Metro Convertible
90 day: 43.8 mpg (US)
Killing fuel/fire to a few cylinders ?

I have done some lurking and have seen many posts on this subject. I don't think what I am considering has been addressed before.

I am looking to start a high MPG project and originally was going to use a Geo Metro as a test mule. A cheap/good one is too hard to find so I am going to experiment with one of my Miatas. The Miata currently has a supercharger and gets 20 MPG (horrible). I pulled the SC last night to return it to natural aspiration. The car's stock ECU has been replaced with a fully programmable Link ECU. I can control the injectors, timing, etc on a grid that is looking at the engines vacuum (and boost if the SC or turbo was on there).

So, what I am considering for one of my experiments is to get the car (I4 1.6L engine) up to around 55 MPH and then kill the fuel (and possibly spark) on one or two of the cylinders. I do not want to mess with the valves, pull the pistons, or anything major like that. I just want to install a $5 high amp switch and kill the power to one/two of the injectors. The car comes with 2 coils and a wasted spark system (fires plugs on two cylinders at the same time regardless of which has fuel in it).

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, etc.

Robert McElwee and Red Beast
1991 T25 Turbo @ 15 PSI
Link ECU, FM IC, 9:1 pistons
Over 400 lbs of "added lightness"
www.lightweightmiata.com

Lightweight Miata Forum:
www.lightweightmiata.com/forum

The Miata Trailer Project:
www.lightweightmiata.com/trailer/trailer.htm