View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
A couple of days ago, I was on an up, and down twisty 2 lane road w 2 vehicles behind.

I wasn't particularly ecomodding at the moment, as no passing was allowed, and I wasn't trying to rile anyone.

I'm

starting to climb 30% grade hill, still going 48 in a 50mph. zone, when the 2nd vehicle pulls out to pass both at once.

All uphill this clean '80's 2wd Toyota PU with only about a 4mph gain on me

passes me at the point where the curve is completely blind. Uphill, with a guard rail immediate to his left, deep ditch to the right, on this narrow road that has no shoulders at all!

I could only stare in amazement as he was given the gift of continued life!
As Einstein said, there is a limit to human intelligence, but there is no limit to human stupidity.

Several years ago I was driving on a local street in a residential neighborhood where there is literally a stop sign at every corner at 8 AM (which is considered rush hour in suburban NYC). I am not a cultist hypermiler, nor am I what anyone would call a "slow" driver. But there is no point in driving rapidly to a stop sign, as there is nothing to gain from it. So as I was slowing while approaching a stop sign the car behind me was getting antsy, attempting to pass me. It's as if you can see it coming. The driver (who was a young woman, probably in a rush to get to work) floored her car, passed me at full acceleration over the double yellow line, through the stop sign without slowing at all, and crashed into a car that had the right of way, entering the intersection from the cross street after having stopped first. I was the sole witness. Fortunately there were no injuries. That's passing over a double yellow line, failure to stop at a stop sign and failure to yield right of way, causing a collision. I told the police and her insurance company that it was a case of absolute, incredible recklessness and that people as reckless as her should not be driving.

If you drive for many years sooner or later you will see this sort of thing happen and be prepared to try to steer clear of it. Just make sure your can stop or swerve to avoid the collision that happens right before your very eyes.

Last edited by Thymeclock; 04-08-2012 at 10:16 PM..