Thread: BSFC Mapping
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
what you could get is instantaneous mpg.

which is meaningful.
Very much so for feedback on tuning your driving style! And that is one of the major things that the UG, the SG, and the MPGuino all provide. The absolute numbers are not all that accurate, certainly not accurate enough to come up with a BSFC map, but they are very useful for driving and A/B/A testing and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdchmiel View Post
Over time just driving the car the VE table is 'auto tuned' from a target A/F ratio.
According to friends of mine who have used that setup, it only gets you close. There is still quite a bit of hand-tuning that needs to be done, either on a dyno or out on the road.

Quote:
Another aspect that could help is measuring the power output of the engine without a dyno. There are mobile phone apps as well as windows apps that will do a pretty accurate chart of your power output. The fudge factors are the aero and rolling resistance corrections.
And weight, which you would have to measure to have more than a guess. (That includes the weight of fuel, driver, etc.)

I'm not saying you can't get useful numbers, and I'm not saying that you can't generate numbers for a BSFC map. I'm just saying that the final map you get won't be worth the effort you have to go through to get them.

-soD