View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
rebatement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
I was thinking about this rounding vs sharp cutoff, and did some research, and yet again found myself reading about projectiles, specifically RBT's (rebated boat tail, bullets). The bullet is rebated, just before the boat tail, this causes the propulsion gasses to create a better cushion behind the bullet to push it out faster with less wear of the barrel.
Anyway it got me thinking about what drmiller100 said about the air wrapping around the vehicle, my consideration was primarily for the junction between the boattail and vehicle, just like the RBT. Rather than having to merge the tail with the body panels, which gives the boat tail a leading edge into the airflow, what if we actually mount it just attatched to the rear and deliberately set in from the body by say 1-2", give or take about half way around the body panel curve, then start boat tail from there.
This would make design and attachment easier and may even allow for a further reduction in the boat tail rear area. I imagine at the rebate as the air begins to wrap around hard it will form a small vortex in the rebate, but with an angled boat tail reattachment may be possible.
Possible or Crazy?
It would work.There would be a penalty do to the circulation within the rebate,as fuel would be consumed to power the perpetual circulation when moving.
But yes,if the gross contour of the tail was otherwise proper,the flow would re-attach and flow on to the trailing edge.