View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #167 (permalink)
Mr. Cheap
EcoModding Lurker

Bun - '02 Ford Focus ZTS
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Hello,

I found you guys from the hackaday blog and am excited to join in building one of these babies for my '96 Acura. I have searched the net for something like this so I am glad to finally find a project like this to get into.

I am majoring in EE but only in my undergrad right now. Any advice before I plunge into replicating what you guys have done so far?

Thanks,
Welcome to the project, silverknight. I'm also an EE undergrad. I found ecomodder when hackaday featured the aerocivic.

Welcome to you too, cmags.

I don't have that much advice, but I'll share the mistakes I've made.
1. Don't use Vin to set pins high. I blew a zener doing this, but it could destroy the chip.
2. Wiring diagrams may be incorrect. I tapped the wrong side of the injector first.
3. Vehicle seats generate a lot of static. I zapped my guino pretty bad once and it didn't work right until I let it rest a while. I thought I toasted it.
4. If you disconnect an injector to tap the wire, remember to reconnect it. I did this one on a single injector tbi engine.

5. I installed resistors at my connection points to protect my vehicle. I'm using 10k with no problems. I had difficulties with 100k in my first test vehicle but those problems may have been from incorrect wiring.

dcb: I'm doing pretty good here. I just haven't been driving much.