View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
playinsafe44
EcoModding Lurker

I think a realistic goal would be about 25 mpg. If I could get 30mpg without sacrificing a ton (drastic weight reduction, no accessories, unattractive exterior mods, etc..) then I would be even happier. I was trying to see if anyone had swapped a 4 cylinder into an old car, but I haven't seen it yet. I saw an old mustang online where a guy swapped in a souped up 2.3t and claims around 30 mpg and tons of power. I just don't know how much I believe when it comes to his mpg claim. If it's true, then he's got one of the coolest mustangs out there.

I was thinking about an LS swap too. The 5.3/4.8 engines are cheap and easy to find, and there is a lot of aftermarket support for them. I have heard of trucks getting low 20's on the hwy with them, but I could spend less money with the 250 swap and have the same mpg if not more (I would think the 250 with a worked head and TBI would get a little more).

The Atlas motor (4, 5, and 6 cylinder) all look very appealing. They have great power, but looking at the mpg numbers for the vehicles they came out of, I'm not impressed. I would like to know what modern engine (preferrably GM) have decent power and great mileage.

I like the idea of the Mercedes diesel... Kind of reminds me of a car I saw online. It was an old '50 chevy fleetline (hmmm...) and the original owner had made a bunch of mods and installed a 4 cylinder perkins diesel. He claimed 35-40 mpg (must be nice!). I talked to the guy who was selling it a couple years back and it was COMPLETELY rusted out. I doubt it performs very well, and parts are probably tough, but it's soooo cool! I would love to build something comparable with maybe a more modern diesel,and a 5 speed trans (well anything with a good OD).