View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe317 View Post
I have 2 things against that;

1) I was in a roll over accident.

2) I live in Oregon, it rains a lot... But you are right a motorcycle can do it.

How much would it take in batteries for a motorcycle?
I was thinking about that 6 months of rain as well, granted it's not heavy rain, but it's rain and it's annoying and cold and can get slippery on a motorcycle.

In my own research on sizing a battery for my electric motorcycle, I figure I can get 75 to 150 watt hours per mile, at 45mph 75 watt hours per mile seems to be pretty standard, so a much smaller battery pack! about $25-$50 per mile of range, where a full car is closer to $80-$120 per mile of range.
There are some decent EV charging station finder maps out there, along with EV clubs, but personally I like the idea of an EV that can handle the full range that you need in an average day, then charge mid day so you are coming home with a full charge again and if done well, this $8,000 investment in lithium batteries should last you 100,000's of miles, after all, the average person is going to spend over $275,000 in their life time on gasoline if they are getting 20mpg.