View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
papaslides

Lightbulb Honda c70 conversion Gas to Diesel

Ok so here's the new post for the diesel project. (Here is my original post)

What I would like to do is take my broken down/not running 1982 Honda c70 Passport and get it back on the road with a diesel engine and running on biodiesel. While I'm messing with things I would like to put a slightly more powerful engine on it (right now it runs a 72cc motor, and I'd like to see closer to 125 or so) the reason for this is that I am 6'1" and weight 210lbs, so a 72cc motor will have a hard time pulling me up the hills in Ann Arbor. I realize this would mean possibly upgrading the breaks as well.

What I need help on for this project is...well everything. I know little to nothing about working on engines, cars, bikes etc. I just have what I think is a great idea, and a desire to have a great high MPG commuter for driving around town in the summer (if gas prices hit 5$ next year this project will pay for itself in no time... even with my short commute and hardly any non-work related driving, I'm paying at or above 80$ a month on gas)

So here's my question request list:

1. What kind of engine should I look for (remember I'm trying to stay as close to 100mpg as possible, even though biodiesel is cheap/free and all, the bike still only has a 1 gallon tank, also remember I am a bigger guy with some decent hills to contend with so I need a level surface top speed of at or above 50mph (ideally 60) and the torque necessary to climb those hills)

2. What other parts of the bike need to be replaced in order to make it biodiesel?

3. What kind of sprocket ratio am I going to need to get the kind of performance I want.

4. Since I am replacing the engine, and it has most of its electronics missing, should I replace everything at 12v (factory) or should I switch to a diff. volt battery/electrics (right now the bike has no blinkers, no starter, etc. etc., basically the only electrics on it are the speedometer, the headlight and taillight)

5. Most importantly: does this project seem doable and does it seem worth the time/effort/money?

Thanks again!

p.s. here is a link to an image of the bike
http://www.freewebs.com/papaslides/a...hotoID=6658817