View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
Currently I am able to get 44-46mpg average on the freeway, at 70mph in the neon, with small aeromods. However, offsetting that, its a little heavier than stock, and has a set of hotter cams, which are soon being removed for stock. Its also a DOHC, which gets worse mileage than the neon SOHC. Although I do have the lower geared tranny from the SOHC in the car, with a 8 pound lighter aluminum flywheel, and no power steering. I dont generally draft (and wont), but on my latest trip to Anaheim, a van did get closer than I'd like when they cut over, and the scangauge jumped to 56mpg, and stayed there until I could get around the van.

There are definately better starting points from a mileage perspective, but there arent many cars that are better for my other half of the project. The car is being built as a national level sound quality competition car. This car was the best compromise between mileage and ability to carry weight. There isnt a budget for this, so my goal to reduce mpg's is purely a personal goal, to get as good of mileage as possible, while simultaneously trying to have the best sounding car in the country.

The engine will need to be rebuilt, and when it does, it will have a multitude of friction reducing and ceramic coatings from Swain Tech applied throughout the engine. It may not be noticeable, but it should help. The body of the car is being extensively modified, including stich welding the whole thing, as well as building all aeromods out of fiberglass, as smooth as possible. I'm not worried about getting my money back from gas savings.

The biggest reason I asked is because the HVAC is being moved to the trunk of the car no matter what, for audio reasons. Need the room to rebuild the dash. While I'm at it, if its possible to reduce drag, even better. The nice thing is the aeromods also affect the stereo. I noticed just from the little bit of tape from the top, the whistle from the externally vented and currently speakerless kick panel enclosures went away. Took the tape off, and it came back, put it back on and it went away. So I'm hoping for the best mileage possible, and an extremely quiet car.

I will be trying this weekend to start working with fiberglass on either the front bumper, or the rear wheel skirts.

The car stock.

Temporary duct tape mods.

Last edited by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL; 04-12-2012 at 10:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (04-13-2012)