View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Hucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Google Books: January 1982 Popular Science for pic of Fibrelock press release.

Now that is an excellent idea! Modifying the nose of the trailer is otherwise counter-productive as it is almost always the "lounge" or sitting area of a trailer and outward visibility from there is crucial. The rear -- bath or bedroom -- would be easier to mod (removable boat-tail) as use of the space is different. A detachable inflatable "nose" would be outstanding.

Interesting about Airstream. One of the men who worked the Airstream in-house Carvanner Insurance Co years ago stated that, by contrast, that flat-faced travel trailers tend to have a resistance to sway due to that face (nose). Experience of most all aero aluminum trailers is, however, that cross-wind resistance (yaw due to winds) is far greater, so the Hucho statement doesn't make sense. In fact I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone, owner or RV hauler, who would agree with that (as there are those with several hundreds of thousands of miles of experience, in nearly all kinds of weather, climate and terrain). I can see the amount of wind pressure varying on a rounded trailer wall, say, versus the increasing loads against a flat-walled trailer accounting for this given some time/distance stuff. (I'll request the Hucho book via interlibrary)

Closing the gap between TV and TT is without remedy (as I see it) for the majority of us. Not at all knocking anyone who tries. On my rig that gap is a full 60". I see treating each vehicle separately, mechanically (rolling efficiency) and with some aero as being most fruitful. A 5'er is more likely to see gains with truck/trailer gaps addressed.

I'm going to assume that the CM Trailer Co. in question is not the one in Oklahoma (who make an otherwise nice trailer I'm told), but cannot find otherwise a reference to these dimensions.

I think that the concern is that around a radius,sideways lift might be generated which would induce a yawing moment affecting stability,whereas with the sharp-edged corner,it's always in separation and somehow will not create the moment.I don't have the paper Hucho refers to so I'm at a loss to understand specifically where the fear is generated.