View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
SiVX
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Correct, a non-lean burn fuel injected gasoline engine will adjust the fueling based on the O2 sensor readings, so as to keep the AFR right near 14.7:1.
So lean burn does not do this? If that is the case then why do WAI on the VX give us better FE? I would think the O2 is seeing "less" oxygen, thus reducing fuel... I am new to alot of the theory tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
I spent 10 years tuning vehicles, everything from hyundai accents up to exotics any everything in between. I only skimmed the thread but I'll add a few details in here that will hopefully correct a few things and add in a bit of info.

Reducing the backpressure will improve fuel economy significantly while accelerating. Steady state operation will make more gains on some vehicles - especially the EGR equipped ones. If the engine wastes less energy pushing the exhaust down a restrictive pipe through a restrictive muffler then more energy is left to turn the wheels.

I had a 1993 Civic VX with a crappy restrictive 1.25" crush bent pipe. Finally it rotted off so I bought the cheapest stainless setup I could ($150 at shop cost). With no other changes in driving habits I picked up 7% and that was with at least 5000km of test data on either side.
What is steady state? Remaining at a constant RPM/ lean burn? I also own a VX, bought recently. It has a newish stainless pipe from the cat back. Just measured diameter from outer circumferance. Got a nice 2" pipe.

I'm getting mixed signals about pipe diameter. Not sure if it will throw my O2 readings off, while creating less backpressure...

[ACHV ALL]

Last edited by SiVX; 04-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: wrong quote html