View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
If saving money is your goal, I'd rebuild the engine with an overbored piston and stroke it to increase its capacity. I bet parts are cheaply available on the internet, since the C70 was so popular.

To get the kind of power you want, you'll need an oversized (i.e. heavy) diesel. On a cc/hp ratio, diesels generally perform worse than the OHC engine on your honda. In any case, a one-off installation is going to be much more difficult than rebuilding an engine that has been rebuilt millions times all over the world.

To save money:
1.) Find a chaincase if your C70 doesn't already have one. There is no reason to expose a chain/sprockets to the elements
2.) Pump up your tires and learn to handle the change in riding quality
3.) Run a smaller rear sprocket to lower engine speed. Without an engine map, this will require testing
4.) Ride tucked as much as possible
5.) Consider building a fairing. You can start slowly at first (windshield) and work your way up (Craig Vetter)
6.) Try to find a manual engine (w/ clutch) so you can EOC
7.) Cut your engine at stoplights
8.) Replace bulbs with LED's
9.) Remove brake drag through adjustment
10.) Lose the Stator and run off of battery power alone (PbA, NiMH, Li-ion, etc.)
11.) Buy slick or low tread tires

Get creative, but try to stay in the realm of practicality. The more outlandish an idea seems, the more expensive, time consuming, an unworthwhile it is likely to be. Stay gas powered and save money.

- LostCause