View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #136 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Aerohead once observed that his 1980s Civic saw no change of top speed with or without the mirrors... and he was at a track with top grade sensitive equipment for measurements of speed... Nonetheless. Mine is not a 1980s Civic, so I went ahead and deleted the passenger mirror on the hunch.

For your idea I don't think you'd have to increase frontal area to create more of the "tear drop" "template" shape. But I do wonder if it will work well. My understanding is that the air around the mirrors is quite turbulent already, due to interaction with the "A" pillars. I would wonder then how much benefit you'd really see from improving the design of the mirrors in this way. It might look cool and be a conversation piece about aero mods on your car, but so would removing a mirror, which is simpler. Still... you have to love what you drive and the projects you attempt are part of that... I don't mean to discourage.

You would need something clear enough to allow light and sight, yes? What?
Your words are not discouraging at all. I think i might just try my own testing with my particular car. As its been discussed every car would have a different outcome. The civic mirrors are relatively easy to remove if I recall. I'll try and provide some solid a-B-A testing.