View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Complete engine rebuild: Anything to consider for max efficiency?

Hey gang,

I have 2x 90's 1st gen neons laying around... smashing the two together to make one good one. One of the shells is my old race shell that I got down to about 2200 lbs race weight. I plan to thin it out a bit more, lower it, aero mods galore, and shoot for the moon.

I am going to rebuilding the entire engine. I'm hoping somebody can give me some tips on achieving maximum efficiency out of my 2.0L SOHC engine.

The bottom end is a bit of a mystery... the engine was hydrolocked. I do have another block, either way, but regardless, new rings, seals, and bearings all around. I'm sure there is some jedi magic to be had with doing the rings... any suggestions on type/gap/etc? What about the hone job, is there a grit that is going to be better specifically for maximum MPGs, or is hone still going to be about the ring type?

I will probably go through and smoothen out some things like the water pump section to get rid of some of the bad cast. I know, probably miniscule, but if every bit counts, why not?

I believe the head has a mild port and polish job right now. It may have been milled down a bit as well, I can't remember for sure. The head is likely in great shape still (haven't pulled it off yet, but can see in the intake ports... head was rebuilt probably 30K miles ago)

Anywho, just fishing for ideas since I'm going to be tearing this down completely and haven't ever considered maximum fuel efficiency when rebuilding in the past.