View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
guudasitgets
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E4ODnut View Post
Sorry to shock you into reality, but unless you are very knowledgeable in the art of engine tuning, and are prepared to spend a lot of time and not a small amount of money in the process, what you are seeking is not achievable.

The bottom line is that all the OEM manufacturers of factory EFI equipped vehicles have done a very good job of compromising power, economy, reliability and emissions concerns. Any gains you will get in one area will be hard won and will negatively affect the others.

I have considerable experience in tuning my engines for economy so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about. I also have a 91 Sprint and a 91 Miata in my stable. They work so well from factory that I wouldn't even consider modifying them. My Sprint is a $900 beater with almost 300,000 km on the clock. It averages 58 mpg Imperial in summer, 56 in winter. I don't know how I could improve on that.
58 imperial is about 48 US. I had a carburated 86 Sprint I rebuilt the engine on years ago and when I put it back in it got 52 to 55 US. Maybe you don't know how you can improve on it but I bet you a lot of people here could, me included.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608

Last edited by guudasitgets; 04-16-2012 at 08:01 PM..