View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Bought the CAR!!!

We payed for the car today, a 1971 VW bug (blue). It has an excellent body with almost no rust. The same owner for the last 25 years. The engine has only 10,000 miles on it since it's last rebuild. I'll try and sell it, but there is something wrong with the distributor (I have no idea what that is). I am told it's a minor problem. Hopefully, someone on Craigslist wants it for their project. I could end up getting the car for "free" in that case.
Here's the annoying part. It's been parked outside for the last few months, and not moved, and the brake drum is frozen to the brake pad, so the back wheel won't move, so we need to take care of that. It's still at his house, but I have a few ideas how it will be taken care of so we can roll it over here.
Also, I bought 2 L110 lovejoy couplers (both about 1.5" diameter) so if I screw up on the welding job, I have another one. I still need to buy the 7/8" diameter L110 now. Maybe in the future, I'll go with a smaller one like the L095. I don't know. It's just that they were super cheap on ebay. One was only $4.99! The other was $10 I think (I forgot). I'll do the welding once they come, maybe by the end of next week! I probably should practice my welding a bit more before that.