View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I have been pricing materials for a boattail, and this stuff is expensive !

$ 22.44 for one piece of aluminum bar 1/4"x1"-8' at Lowes.

Mike, how many feet of the stuff did you use ? Where did you buy it ?

Lexan is $69.98 for a piece 36"x48 .085 thickness.

Lowes does not carry flat sheet metal, but has small rolls of aluminum at $16.98 for 20"x10' .( Twenty inches wide means i would have to stitch together lots of strips ! )

Where is the best place to get flat sheet metal cheap ?

After looking around, i started to wonder if i could use some backer board for showers called FRP or Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic versus sheet metal, but it's $32.47 for a piece .090 thickness and 4'X8' . It is also very heavy.
FRP breaks easily when bent.

Another alternative could be a sheet of Formica, used on countertops . It is water resistant, flexible, thin and light, but has ( almost razor ) sharp edges when it breaks and is $42 for a 4x8 sheet . It also breaks easily

A sheet of 1/8" 4'X8' panel board is $11.87 , and when primed might not swell up with moisture . ( the stuff is basically pressed cardboard though )

I looked for the foam like ThreeWheeler used, but the Lowes i was at doesnt carry it. The only foam board they have is 1/4 " thickness sheets of the stuff sandwiched in between foil.

Ideally, id like to use the foam board, since i would be able to carve it and do radiused edges. Any advice here ?

fiberglas cloth is $6.64 and a quart of resin is $17.04 .

I didn't even price Bondo, since i loathe the stuff and just automatically look past it. ( my Camaro had gallons of the stuff )

Rivets are $5.28 for a box of 50. I suspect i would need several boxes.

Tail light from a junk yard could be anywhere from $30 to over $ 100 and then i i have to figure in the cost of wiring harnesses to eh ?

Also, I have to wonder how you guys put together your tails without a helper. I would be trying to build this thing alone.

I'm currently living in an apartment that allows you to rent out an 18' garage for $75 a month, so im adding this to the cast as well.

Last edited by Cd; 04-18-2012 at 12:02 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (04-18-2012)