View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Ironically, drop the headlights a bit, make the upper curve a straight horizontal line, and install dual projectors in the headlight housings, and it will "look like a Mustang".

Porsche keep a similar shape, but it's largely dictated by the mechanicals of the car. And yet they've tried to apply the iconic 911 shape to absolutely everything... resulting in the absolutely hideous first-generation Cayenne and the still-hideous Panamera. I don't think you can quote Porsche as a design success in any way. They've been milking the same design since time immemorial and can't seem to get design right on anything that isn't a mid- or rear-engined car.

BMW goes through cycles. Hideous-stylistic-conservative-hideous-stylistic... while I love the Bangle-designed E46 (yeah, Chris Bangle penned that), the 7-series is uninspired, the Z3 was atrocious, the Z4 was fantastic, the facelifted Z4 was bleh.

Worst of all was the Hooydonk'd 1-series hatchback (which Bangle was blamed for), which was absolutely hideous. And the new 1-series, with a face that looks like a pufferfish suffering an allergy attack, is even worse. BMW is, suffice to say, not the paragon of design, either.

-

Change the headlights and it's fine. Give it a real butt and it'll be fantastic. But there's nothing in history that says the Mustang has to have the rear end of a 1970's brick wall (the Mach I... which lends its ass to the current Mustang) to be a Mustang. A design that stops evolving becomes nothing more than style for the sake of style. Which the Mustang, with its decades of fake shaker hoods, useless hood and side scoops and more tacked-on bric-a-brac than a garage sale, has become.

I'd welcome a fresh, functional look for the Mustang. Retro can only take you so far.