View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsway View Post
The craziest one I've ever seen though, is in the south-west of the country - take a look at the 'Magic Roundabout'...
I've driven over the one near Swindon, going to Cirencester, without any problem at all.

Quote:
I wonder how long it will be until cars become autonomous
It'll take a bloody long time.

Think of the liability to start with.
Who will be to blame for an accident ?

Think of the problems associated with it :

- most countries can't even keep a dumb road network in good shape or implement legally correct traffic signs everywhere ;

- a smart road network will take ages to implement; so who's going to do the driving on the dumb stretches of road in the meantime ?
The ever less experienced human error machine ?

- making the cars intelligent, means it'll take ages for all cars to use the system, but what with the dumb cars in the meantime ? how do you compensate for these ?

- the DARPA challenge showed that even the biggest companies and the smartest universities didn't come up with fail-safe / fail-proof soft- and hardware.

- the traffic priority rules were simple US 4-way stops; any idea how tough it'll be to implement the entire world's traffic rules ?

- how is the system going to react to superfluous / left-behind traffic signs, that any human will discard as nonsense ?