View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
gone7
gone

Lincoln #4 - '93 Lincoln Town Car Executive
"No man is an island, entire of itself" someone once said. Any use of fossil fuels anywhere will affect me where I am, one way or another, sooner or later. It should just simply end now.

Perhaps you like mass transit, and that's fine. However, I look at it like spam e-mail. Some people actually don't mind receiving it. But, by the same token, they shouldn't mind not getting it, either.

I dare say that most people would be glad to travel in their nice safe personal electric vehicle. As I pointed out, there is absolutely no substitute for the convenience it offers, short of having loads of money for a chauffered limo.

The nice thing about electric vehicles is that there is no wishful thinking involved. They use off-the-shelf components and can be made to power any vehicle today. No pie-in-the-sky thinking is necessary.

The only thing required in our nation at this time is a willingness to make them available to the populace. Non-renewable energy sources are out; electricity is in. Buying any new vehicle that does not use electricity as its main motive force is simply being part of the problem and not part of the solution. There simply is no excuse for it.

As you probably heard, Ed Begley last year or so pointed out that his electric bill was less than $200 for the year, and that included all his driving of his electric vehicle as well.

Except for poor folks who can't afford to get a conversion done, there is no reason not to change now, and let mass transit and petroleum use die a well deserved death.