View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
JanvdW
EcoModding Lurker

Landy - '98 Land Rover Defender TDi
90 day: 35.01 mpg (US)
Hi,

I am still new at this, but here's my 2c worth...

I have an old diesel turbo, no electronics, no EGR, oil cooled turbo, mechanical Bosch diesel pump etc.
I found that it is not worth switching the engine of at most traffic lights, with the cycles varying from 20 sec to 30 sec. Thus not even a minute.

What I do however do is glide down hills with the engine switched off. HOWEVER, I keep the vehicle in 5th gear with the clutch pedal pressed down, and the ignition switched ON. Starting the engine, while still moving, is a simple matter of releasing the clutch.
If that truck of mine (2 metric tons) is hurtling downhill at 80mph with the engine off, the brakes do very little in terms of stopping the vehicle.
I any emergency situation, I need the engine back on in a split second. No time to fiddle with keys to start, just pop the clutch and it's back on.
Gentle release of the clutch starts the engine quite easily without any jerk, and there is no stress on the starter motor.
Driving like an old woman (or worse) means the turbo is not spinning at 18000 rpm when I cut the engine either.

I plan to install a Volt meter to monitor battery condition, in addition to an alternator cut-out switch. That way I will not be caught off guard without power in the battery.