View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
fb_bf
Electric MG Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe317 View Post
some of the vendors I have been emailing are asking me some questions that I need to pass along to you guys, because I do not know the answer.

"And please confirm the working current and peak current you want, thank you.

We have to confirm all the details so that I can show you a well performance Li-Fe battery to your project, is it?
"

could someone please explain the two currents she is speaking of?
I have been reading your post, and I think you can get the range you want with a pack at 108 volts, and 180Ah. I would recommend using the new Sinopoly cells, which are Thundersky cells under new management. I have finished converting an MG Midget that has 120 volts and 160ah Thundersky cells. I just measured my range with driving around town and 40 to 50 mph stretches at 112 miles. This was right down to 2.7 volts on the cells. Really it was the BMS saying one cell dropped below 2.7 volts. My measured range (wh/m) at 50 mph is 83 miles to 80%, or 100 miles to 2.7 volts. The currents that you need to worry about are maximum current used during acceleration. For me it is 500 amps. The cells I’ve mentioned are rated at (3C) 3X 180=540 amps for the Sinopoly, for me it is 480 amps. This is claimed for continuous current, but I wouldn’t want to do that for long. The other current would probably be peak, and that is 5C, but you wouldn’t need that. Your hyper milling techniques are perfect for an electric car, and would mean you can go with DC motor system. People who coast to a stop don’t gain much from regenerative braking. For around town range improvement, you’ll want to reduce weight. For your highway performance just use the techniques for reducing drag found on this site. The A123 cells look good at first, but containing them and hooking them up, and hooking up a BMS to that many cells will be an issue. The Sinopoly cells are easy to handle. I’m measureing 200 wh/m for my around town driving, and did measure 183 wh/m for 50 mph on a 80 deg day. My Midget weighs 2020lbs, and isn’t known for having a good Cd. I do live at 5,000 ft, so I have 15% less dense air than you do. Check out my site electricmgmidget.com. (I can't post a link yet, I have one more post to go, then I can) I have pictures and articles that you can learn from. Please feel free to ask questions, I’ll be happy to try to help out.