View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Question Could a MPGuino / SuperMID cause ECU issues if installed wrong ?

I recently fixed ( knock on wood ) an issue with my ECU on my 1993 Honda Civic DX.

I am now going to reinstall my SuperMID ( basically the same as a MPGuino ) and i had forgotten how that the wiring went.

I looked up Bens' helpful write up here :
crxMPG – Gas mileage never looked so good » SuperMID: Fuel Economy Display

on how to wire the SuperMID to the car and noticed a mention of the ECU.

My question is this :

If i somehow wire up the SuperMID wrong*, or do some bonehead move, is there a chance that i may short out my ECU ?

* meaning all the correct wires in the correct places, but with something causing a short in the wires.

BTW, My usual way of using the SuperMID has been to hit the reset button at the back of the SuperMID each trip that I take and to unplug the data cable from the SuperMID each time that i turn off the car - otherwise the SuperMID stays on and i would think it might drain on the battery.
Also, *this allows me to store the SuperMID in the glove box away from the scorching Texas heat and thieves who might think it is something that it is not.

I emailed Yoshi long ago, and he stated that i shouldn't have to unplug the SuperMID or hit the reset button each time that i use the SuperMID.

Since I had a habit of doing this anyways ( see the reasons above* ) could this have caused my ECU to develop problems ?

Should i install an inline fuse somewhere in the power line to the SuperMID or some other protective feature ?

Thanks !