View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Trek speed concept bicycle (aeromodding bicycle)

Factory aeromodded bicycle:
Speed Concept 9 Series - Trek Bicycle

Now that gives me some ideas, I could use thin plastic from washer fluid canisters to make tubes in my bicycle similar to what Trek has made to their frame to be.

What do you think, does such small things really help?

I would think that making some form above the rear wheel might do wonders as I have larger frontal area than my bike, so that making air to leave me optimal way would probably be more beneficial than toying with tubes of bicycle?

Open wheeler race cars have section behind the driver such that I would imagine that would be good to put behind cycler, above rear wheel, maybe even bit lower.

I have already placed order of triathlon type steering bar which should bring me to optimal riding position.

I did also read about scraper bike culture, which some may be familiar of, my most interest was aero improvement of wheels as can be seen from this article's photo:
Scraper Bike Culture Provides Lessons for Sustainable Businesses

I wonder if every odd 'triangle' is taped, would that do improvement for aero?
Maybe taping whole wheel would be better, but maybe it would be possible to make cover from some light and thin stuff, like washer fluid canisters, they are just rather small in size so it will take quite bit of joining to get full disc, however I see there is front wheel with only small part covered in Trek bicycle, maybe that is most important bit and will not cause issues with cross winds.

Maybe I should do some coast down testing to determine aero before and after, but I'm horribly out of shape so going 70kph might not be possible, but maybe 30-20kph and then 15-5kph would be good ranges to test rolling resistance and air resistance.