View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubone View Post
I think the wheel disks should be one piece, apparently the rim part tapers too quickly on a standard rim and spokes are apparently poor aerodynamically. google tailbox and you will find lots. They say you don't get enough air resistance to worry about until about 30kph, I say 20+.... But if you really want aero get a recumbent.
Recumbent costs thousands, but at some point I will build something like that, velomobile, but it might take a while to source all needed parts and materials.

Only reason I think about aero is wind, it seem to be always from opposite direction and even small wind is already killing half from my speed at long hills.

Current riding position is rather upright, so that should be fixed in few weeks as new parts come.

There is list how much which thing reduces aerodynamic drag:
Bicycles and Aerodynamics

I did search a bit of tailboxes, came up with this place:
Commuter Bicycle Pics

There is at least two images from aeromodded bicycle and those mods seem to be working for him, got few ideas to get front fender more aero friendly as well as rear fender. I need fenders as there is often rain.

I think only lower front beam might need some work from body, rest I can get combined to rear fender covering and backbox, at least so I think and that should improve things a bit.

Currently wind can take my speed from 25 to 15km/h (if really strong even close to 10kph), every 10% improvement would be around 1kph against wind.

This should give nice perspective, it is very same as my current situation and what I would like to achieve or maybe even bit better if possible.
Measuring Aerodynamic Drag

That would be half the air resistance, maybe, if mods work enough well, that should mean that wind affects only half as much as it affects now so it would be half as annoying also, but maybe with tailbox it could be even better?

Of course summer brings large change as I can use something else than winter clothing, alone there is going to be rather large effect. Triathlon handle bars will allow me to get lower position than in that measurement page time trial machine has, maybe I should put air guide below handle bar so that air goes more around me.