View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
old jupiter
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry so late replying. Never heard of Mike Holler.

My interests are generally in applying those mostly-well-known hot rodding techniques that tend to improve fuel economy (the part in which I am more interested, for my own vehicles) as well as power, by making the engine more efficient. Improving intake and exhaust systems to reduce pumping losses and charge dilution is a common example. Rebuilding with increased compression, possibly to the point of needing water-injection is another. And even if one doesn't markedly increase compression, decking the block during a rebuild to get a good tight squish-height is a win-win, adding a little power while quelling any tendency to detonation. Employing an engine-heater, trans-heater, diff-heater, and in the case of diesels, a fuel heater, make the engine work better and easier when starting out on a cold morning. Finally, with any change made, the factory spark-timing curve usually becomes sub-optimal (maybe mixture does as well) so hearing how the better tuners develop a new timing curve for a modified engine is always worthwhile for me.

All of this is long-established technology. The manufacturer's can't take advantage of all of it because they have a million compromises they must make. I regard any factory-original vehicle as a kind of a "kit" that any decent amateur mechanic can play with and improve upon. With newer vehicles, the factories have done more, and we can do less. But I won't have any more new cars because they are too complicated for me, too heavy, with too many systems I don't want, and have too much plastic in them. So my thing is older cars, pre-computer at least.

So I'd have to say that my personal interest in such topics as plug-in hybrids, electrics, hydrogen fuel, extreme aerodynamic bodywork, and other cutting-edge tech is not great. OTOH, my interest in conventional techniques for improving fuel efficiency extends beyond little econo-boxes to include work-trucks, and maybe motorcycles, low-resistance boats, small engines that power welder-generators and other equipment, and so forth.